Companies must efficiently track and report absences to comply with regulations such as the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and a growing number of state leave laws.
Mismanagement of these absences can result in employee lawsuits, as well as fines and investigations by government agencies such as the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), illegitimate use of benefits, and poor return-to-work outcomes – all on top of the productivity, morale and cost issues that can arise when a job is interrupted by an employee leave. So, what should you do?
Outsource absence management.
Employers who outsource absence management relating to Short Term Disability (STD) coverage and family and medical leaves achieve better absence management results versus employers who manage these leaves internally or outsource STD only.* Wondering how well your company’s absence management efforts measure up? Use Guardian's Absence Management ScorecardSM to receive a customized assessment of your current absence management activities.
Using third parties to oversee absence management can alleviate the administrative burden on companies and help ensure consistency and objectivity in the treatment of employees, which is key to compliance. And since most FMLA leaves are related to an employee’s own health issue, outsourcing these leaves, Short Term Disability (STD), and other benefits to the same external resource can help maximize success. If your company is thinking of outsourcing but hesitant to make the move, or are already outsourcing but want more support, Guardian is here to help.
Guardian AbsenceWorks® makes it possible for employers of all sizes to take advantage of high-quality, integrated disability and absence management services.
Our range of flexible options – including ADA support – enables us to customize a program to best meet your company’s needs, whether if you have 50 employees or 5,000+. There are two plans to choose from:
- Designed for smaller businesses outsourcing for the first time
- Faster implementation – services can be up and running typically within 45 days
- Simpler ongoing administration (no monthly eligibility files required)
- Best suited for mid-size employers and larger companies
- Supports first-time outsourcers or employers looking to change or enhance their current support services
- Offers additional features for a more robust program
Our integrated, end-to-end disability and absence management approach can help minimize risk of liability and misuse of benefits, help return employees to work as soon as appropriate and reduce expenses. Plus, it can greatly streamline administrative processes, so you have more time to focus on your business.
Key features include:
- Integrated management of leaves, including those relating to group STD and Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits, state and federal family medical leaves, and company leaves.
- Integrated intake of leaves makes the claims process easier for employees, from initial claim to ongoing communications.
- Compliance with the most up-to-date laws, including the FMLA, state regulations and ADA (when ADA services are elected).
- Dedicated leave managers plus services are backed by compliance experts and attorneys specializing in leave and disability laws.
- Industry-leading software tools that we leverage to track usage patterns, claims, FMLA status and more.
- ADA service options that range from review and tracking of leave-related accommodations to support with the interactive process.
- Exceptional support for a better customer experience, including extensive return-to-work assistance.
Collaboration helps drive better outcomes
With experienced intake, claims, leave and clinical support teams located together in our state-of-the-art solutions center in Dallas, Texas, we can be more efficient and responsive to your needs. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- The right resources are engaged sooner.
- Teams are structured to share information and collaborate.
- In-house clinicians manage medical events throughout the claim life cycle.
- We review for LTD potential from day one of STD.
Our in-depth reporting for STD and applicable leaves provides you with the information you need, when you need it, so you can better understand absence trends and reduce future absences. With Guardian, online reporting of leave events is available 24/7, all year round.
Dedicated support for large companies
Our Group Practice Leaders and claims leadership are actively involved in supporting larger employers, from pre-sale to operations. Led by our Practice Leaders, with an average tenure of 22 years, we have experience in creating the optimal employer-focused absence management program.
Contact your broker today
Learn more about why Guardian is the smart choice for absence management. We are committed to working with you and your broker to determine the coverage that best fits your company’s needs.