In general, there are two types of disability insurance: Short-term disability insurance helps employees immediately after an event, while long-term disability typically starts after six months and can last years. Plans can be offered on an employer-paid, contributory or voluntary basis at little or no cost to your company. Some states also offer mandatory statutory plans that can also help protect employees in an event they suffer a disability.
Supporting employees when they need it most can mean everything – especially when the unexpected occurs.
Guardian believes that disability insurance should put people first, by managing the logistics of each claim quickly, efficiently, and with compassion.
Dedicated support for every type of claim
Claims are holistically reviewed, managed, and supported by our team of seasoned professionals, who each bring their own knowledge to make the employee experience a positive one, especially during a time that may be difficult for the employee.
Meet the team:
- Claim case manager
A claim case manager handles a claim from start to finish, and is trained to identify if and when additional support is needed from our clinical and vocational rehabilitation teams.
- Clinical team
The Guardian in-house clinical team includes specialists in orthopedics, cardiology, gastroenterology, obstetrics and gynecology, oncology, general surgery, neurosurgery, and more. This team can help evaluate each employee’s individual needs, then make supportive recommendations for the best possible outcome in collaboration with the employee’s physician.
- Nurse case managers and behavioral health case managers
Guardian’s Masters-level or PhD level nurse case managers and behavioral health case managers may also be asked for their perspective on recommendations for next steps.
- Vocational rehabilitation counselors
Vocational rehabilitation counselors are engaged if needed to help determine accommodations and transitional work arrangements.
- Practicing physicians' network
A network of board-certified practicing physicians is also available to the team to provide independent review when needed.
We offer a wide variety of traditional and voluntary short- and long-term disability plans to meet your company’s unique needs and offer employees more choices:
- Guardian Disability Income SelectTM- Employers can customize benefit amount, benefit duration, elimination period and more. Employees select the level of income replacement protection for their needs.
- Guardian Supplemental Individual Disability Income insurance – Employers can offer as a voluntary benefit to keep costs down, as an employer-paid benefit, or a combination of both to complement a Group Long-Term Disability plan. Employees can obtain a higher level of income protection, with highly flexible terms.
Administrative Services Only (ASO) and Advice-to-Pay-services are available for employers who choose to self-fund their short-term disability plan. Our ASO and Advice-to-Pay options offer a variety of flexible plan, billing, and reporting solutions, with funding arrangements such as ASO direct billing that allow employers to hold on to their cash longer.