How we are helping New Jersey customers
Governor Philip Murphy has issued an executive order, and corresponding emergency regulations have been issued by the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance (NJ DOBI), to assist New Jersey life insurance and dental insurance customers experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In accordance with Bulletins 20-12, 20-13, 20-16 and 20-27 issued by NJ DOBI, Guardian will, effective immediately, do the following for our New Jersey customers currently facing financial hardship:
- We will extend the policy premium grace period to 90 days for your New Jersey group insurance policies. Policyholder’s may elect to apply this extended grace period retroactively as early as March 1, 2020 or opt for the extended grace period to begin April 1, or May 1, 2020. Your policy remains in force during the grace period and will not be cancelled for nonpayment during this time. The extended grace period is not intended to change the terms of your policy or be considered a forgiveness of the premium.
- We will allow you to pay overdue March, April and/or May 2020 premiums in their grace period over a 12-month period if you did not make a timely premium payment. Download the premium deferment application form (PDF)
- We will extend to 90 days any time limits to exercise rights or benefits that may apply to you or your members under your New Jersey life insurance policy.
- We will allow customers to voluntarily cancel an insurance policy in accordance with its terms.
- We will not impose any late fee related to any late premium payment.
- We will not notify credit reporting or debt collection agencies of late premium payments.
The extension of the grace period and rights noted above are currently in effect on a temporary basis, though they may be extended further by executive order. Please check the NJ DOBI’s website for updates.
If you have any questions, please:
- Contact your insurance broker or agent.
- Call Guardian at 1-888-GUARDIAN (1-888-482-7342) if you need to discuss alternative payment arrangements. Download the premium deferment application form (PDF).