Thanks to three guaranteed components - premium, cash value,and death benefit.
Of course, Whole Life will help replace your income to protect your family or your business in the event of your death. But thanks to the cash value within the policy, it can also help accumulate wealth, give you access to cash to cover unexpected expenses, augment your retirement income, facilitate estate planning, and more. All at a predictable cost on account of the guaranteed policy premium.
Unlike Term Life Insurance — which, as its name suggests, is in effect for a limited period or “term” — Whole Life is permanent insurance. That means it will provide benefits for the duration of your life.
Whole Life vs. Term Life Insurance
|Type of insurance||Term Life||Whole Life|
|Access to cash value||No||Yes|
|Guaranteed death benefit||For term limit||Yes|
|Income tax-free death benefit||Yes||Yes|
ProtectionWhole Life protects your family or your business by offering a permanent death benefit that can fulfill a broad range of financial needs.
|For your family:
||For your business:
Wealth AccumulationOne of the greatest advantages of Whole Life is its ability to increase in value over time. The cash value of a Whole Life policy grows thanks to the guaranteed cash value and the potential to accumulate dividends. But unlike other types of investments and savings vehicles, the cash value and dividends of a Whole Life policy generally grow tax-deferred for as long as the funds remain in the policy.
Access to Cash ValueAt any time, for any reason, you can access the cash value you’ve accumulated — generally with no penalty or tax liabilities. You can use the cash value in a Whole Life policy to:
- Pay for education expenses
- Expand your business
- Provide emergency funds
- Collateralize a bank loan
- Pay the premiums of the policy itself
Tax Benefits**Whole Life Insurance offers a host of unique tax advantages. These can help minimize the impact of taxes on both the death benefit and cash value of your policy.
- Tax-free death benefit ensures your loved ones or business receive the full value of your policy
- Tax-deferred growth means you’ll pay no income tax for as long as the funds remain in the policy
- Dividend withdrawals are generally tax-free up to the amount cumulatively paid in premiums
- Loans taken against the cash value of the policy will usually not trigger a taxable event, regardless of how much profit the policy has shown
Riders that Offer Flexibility***Riders help make Whole Life even more flexible to fit your life. Additional add-ons include:
- Waiver of Premium
- Accidental Death Benefit
- Enhanced Accelerated Benefit
- Guaranteed Insurability Option
- Paid-Up Additions
- 10-Year Annually Renewable Term
- Select Security
- Simplified Insurability Option
- Exchange of Insureds
© Copyright 2005-2011, The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
* Dividends are not guaranteed they are declared annually by Guardian's Board of Directors.
**Guardian, its subsidiaries, agents or employees do not give tax or legal advice. You should consult your tax or legal advisor regarding your individual situation.
***Riders may incur an additional premium.